What I'd Tell My Teenage Self

Hello everybody,

and welcome to today's post! I hope all of you are doing absolutely great and that your holidays are going well! Without much rambling for once, grab yourself a cuppa, get comfy and let's jump straight into today's post!

http://www.sunrisephotos.com.au/
Source: http://www.sunrisephotos.com.au/
Do you ever have those flashbacks of your teenage years, where you were all naive, partly stupid but also carefree? I've got those all the time, and some of them are pretty damn embarrassing where you just think "God, I wish I knew that back then!". Pretty sure all of you know what I'm talkin' about here!

Obviously, school played a huge role in my life at that time (talking around 12 to 18 years old), you know like the things you learned about life, the world and people. Everything.

Well, now all of this got me thinking of what the top things were which I would tell my teenage self. Would it have been better to study that Saturday instead of going to the cinema with my besties? Should I really have spent my last twenty bucks on something I knew I'd never use? Let's have a look at my advice from my older self to my younger self, shall we?

Keep on studying my dear...

I know this might sound stupid to some of you, but really all of us know how much teenagers like studying. Yep, you guessed it 0.0%. But it is so important to fill your brain with as much knowledge as you can get and to really inform yourself about the things going on in this world. And after all these years, I can say this one thing without a doubt: The hard working hours studying paid off.

Don't leave it to someone else!

Whenever I found myself in a difficult situation or I simply felt uncomfortable doing something I had this easy solution: just letting someone else take care of it. Now looking back, I wish I would have taken these opportunities, opportunities to grow on and to improve some already existing skills and actually done some things myself instead of someone else. 

I'd rather say no.

Now, just for clarification purposes, I do not mean to say no to your parents, nope. That's what 98% of our teenage lives are spent with anyway, no need to tell you that. But you know, it is okay to say no to your friends, to something you don't want to do because you don't like the idea of it. I wish I did this more when I was younger! I was one of those girls who always did everything she was told to, forced into it or not, I did it. I never wanted to be the outsider, which, sad story, I already was, so there was no need for that. But even if you're not the Miss Popular at your school, always remember - you ARE allowed to decline.


Friends are everything!

Finding good friends isn't easy by all means, especially not as a teenager. But even the once that stuck around for only a period of time were everything to me back at that time. So no matter how long someone stays in your life, as long as this person means something to you at that very moment everyone's worth the time spent with them. I used to be so scared of getting hurt by people since I already had been quite a few times before, but honestly, I don't regret any "friendship", fake or not. Those moments have only helped me grow and understand what actually matters in life. 


Do NOT walk into that sweets shop!!!!!!

I had to laugh whilst typing that headline, hahaha. I guess it's no secret to humanity that teenagers are not very good at handling or managing money. There's a reason why we only ever got a limited amount of pocket money, trust me. So, yes I a hundred percent wish I didn't walk into that sweets shop oh so many times just to leave my money on their counter. Not just was it a complete waste and super unhealthy for me, but the money left in that shop could have been saved for something really important in my later life.  

And that last point was actually sparked by the lovely people at Earnest. They are encouraging others to write a post about what they would tell their teenage self and how school affected their life. That had me hooked immediately and so I wanted to share my own! 

Earnest is a company based in San Francisco, California in the USA. They are an incredible team of many talented people working on bringing easily accessible credits and loans to people like you and me. But whilst being a sophisticated company they try to receive information about their clients other banks and lenders don't, which help them create the most suitable and personal customised loans that you actually deserve. If you're living in the United States and you're thinking of taking out a loan but are too scared of the very high refinancing rates, then you might want to check Earnest's Refinance Student Loans out. 

I have got to say I am glad that a company like Earnest exists since studying costs about a fortune these days and not everyone, *cough* barely ANYONE *cough*, can afford it. So having a trustworthy lenders company with customised rates and great service is an incredible support which should be available all around the world. Unfortunately, for now, it's only possible for US citizens to take out loans from Earnest but that alone is step up in our financial game!

Well and that just about wraps up today's post. I hope you liked it if you did then please make sure share it over in your social medias and follow my blog to stay updated! 

What would YOU tell your teenage self? Let me know in the comments down below!

Until next time loves,

Mary going offline xxx

2 comments

  1. The sweet shop one is so me! How am I supposed to resist a bag of sweets for 50p?? I'd also buy a red slushie from there in the summer. I'm so lucky I had great friends and they're still my best friends now. People worry too much about what everyone else is doing but I just stuck with the people that I liked and trusted.

    Leah x
    http://www.leahmarriott.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I think we're all guilty of buying too many sweets back then! Love to hear that you still are friends with the people of your teenage years!

      - Mary xo

      Delete