Sweet Squash Sandwich with Cinnamon and Peanuts

Hello everybody,

how are you all doing? I do hope only good and that your week has been fantastic! I was going threw a cold the past week but now I will enjoy the Autumn time to the fullest! Anyways, let me stop rambling, grab yourself a cuppa, get comfortable and let's get started!

Today I wanted to share something completely new with you guys. I was having a few blog post ideas one day, when my creativity had an explosion inside of my brain and this beauty was born! A "Sweet Squash Sandwich with Cinnamon and Peanuts". Now I know it sounds a bit odd, sweet squash? But trust me it turned out just as good as I imagined it to be if not better. Please don't be put off by the fact that we usually use Squash in savory dishes, try this first and let a firework of flavours cracking in your mouth.


Ingredients


400g Butternut Squash

2 Tbsp Coconut Oil

40g Coconut Sugar

2 Organic Oranges

3 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar

1 Cinnamon Stick

1/2 Vanilla Pod

a pinch of Pink Himalayan Salt

4 Slices Wholegrain Toast

4 Tbsp Sugar-free Peanut Butter

a sprinkle of  Pumpkin Seeds

Instructions

1. Half the Butternut Squash, remove the seeds and cut into small cubes. In a medium sized pan, over a medium heat braise the Squash cubes lightly with the coconut oil.

2. Add the Coconut Sugar to the Squash and let it slowly caramelise.

3. Pour the orange juice and apple cider vinegar over the caramelised Squash.

4. Add the Cinnamon stick and the pulp of the vanilla pod, and let everything simmer over a small heat for around 20 minutes until the Squash is soft.

5. After the 20 minutes, remove the spices. Following mash the Squash cubes roughly with a potato masher. Sprinkle over a pinch of salt.

6. Either toast the toast in a toaster or in a frying pan. Spread the Peanut butter on one slice and add as much of the mashed Squash over the top as you like. 

Sprinkle some pumpkin seeds over the top and add the remaining slice of toast.
Enjoy!

Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 2 Servings


I hope I was able to inspire you to go out of your comfort zone and to try something new every now and then! You have an amazing idea but are not sure of how it could turn out? Don't be afraid and just do it! The worst thing that can happen is that it won't be the way you wanted it to be!


Let me know if you try it by tweeting me or tagging me on Instagram or on any social media, I'd love to see all of your recreations! Make sure to follow my blog so you get a notification send directly to your inbox and never miss out on a post!


Mary going offline xx

0 comments